[ASA] Fwd: Higher Education cuts update and call for assistance

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Fri Apr 19 12:36:29 AEST 2013

To ASA members,
The following email is from Science & Technology Australia and includes a request for details of likely impacts of funding cuts, especially on research in universities.

John

> This is quick note to update you on actions STA is taking regarding the cuts to Higher Education cuts announced by the Government over the weekend, and a call for your assistance in gathering information about the impact the cuts will have.
>
> You will have seen the media release we issued on Sunday, adding our voice to a rising chorus in the sector and beyond.
>
> You will have also noted that the author of the schools report, David Gonski, has condemned the use of Higher Education cuts to fund schools reform.
>
> We are monitoring events very carefully, and will issue statements at strategic moments, including around the COAG meeting this Friday (depending on the outcome). We are keeping the pressure on the Government to reconsider the cuts, but also, very importantly, we are keeping pressure on the Coalition to commit to reversing them should they win office.
>
> One of the challenges for all of us in the face of University cuts is explaining to the community and to politicians why the cuts matter, and just what it will mean to them.
>
> Real life examples and information help enormously in telling a story that can cut through.
>
> This is where information from you is really valuable.
>
> If you are aware of impacts, especially on research in universities, but also any possible flow on impacts outside, can you send the details via email?
>
> Examples of important projects and programs that will be cancelled, or deferred, would be very much appreciated.
>
> I can guarantee that the source of information will NOT be disclosed at any point, to anyone, but you should be ready for STA to use what you tell us in public statements and as information to members.
>
> I understand it is hard to find concrete information at this point, but whatever you can supply would be very much appreciated.
>
> Please attach your contact details in case I need to check facts with you.
>
> We are working closely with other education, research and science peak bodies in the lead up to the Federal Election, and I will update you further on progress in the monthly newsletter which will restart at the end of April.
>
> Regards
>
> Catriona Jackson
>
> Chief Executive Officer
> Science & Technology Australia
> Giving voice to Australian Science & Technology for over 27 years
> www.sta.org.au
> www.respectthescience.org.au
>
> T:  02 6257 2891
> M: 0417142238
>
> PO Box 259
> Canberra City ACT 2601

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE
Associate Head (Teaching & Learning)
Chair, School Teaching & Learning Committee
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.

Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 222, 44-70 Rosehill St Redfern H90 (see map) | (alternate: Rm 205, Physics Building A28)
Postal address: School of Physics | The University of Sydney | NSW | Australia | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3184  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au  | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/physics/~obyrne

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

This email uses 100% recycled words and ideas.  Do you really need to print it?