[ASA] ASA post from matthew.colless at anu.edu.au requires approval

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Tue Apr 2 22:10:23 AEDT 2013

Matthew Colless has asked me to pass along the following advertisement from the University of Edinburgh.

I don't often pass along advertisements for overseas positions, but this was done at very short notice and so it did not get onto the AAS Job Register. As a result, many good candidates may not find out about the position until too late, so here it is….

Lectureship (Chancellor's Fellow) in astronomy at IfA Edinburgh

The Institute for Astronomy (IfA) in the University of Edinburgh, at the Royal Observatory Edinburgh, intends to appoint a new member of academic staff. This is intended to be at the Lecturer level, but a Readership appointment is possible in exceptional cases.

This position is a Chancellor's Fellowship: initial appointment will be for 5 years, of which the first 3 will have only light teaching duties. Subject to a performance review during this period, a Chancellor's Fellow will then become tenured. It is assumed that tenure will be the normal outcome of this process. Further details of the appointments process for these positions is given at the main website for the School of Physics & Astronomy.

We are looking for candidates with internationally leading research records to join the current research staff at the IfA (14 academics; 22 postdocs; 28 postgraduates). Our research strengths include testing cosmological models using large-scale structure and gravitational lensing; observations of high-redshift galaxies and active galaxies; stellar populations in nearby galaxies; modeling of the intergalactic medium; modelling of the formation of stars and planetary systems. There is no restriction on area of application, although we are particularly interested in candidates in the areas of observational studies of exoplanets or observational radio astronomy.

The Institute for Astronomy is committed to providing a supportive environment for women and minorities, and we strongly encourage applications from such candidates. The School of Physics & Astronomy is currently a "practitioner" under the IoP Juno Project.

Salary Scale: Grade 8 £36862 - £44016, or grade 9 (£46696 - £52556) in exceptional cases.

Informal enquiries should be directed to the Head of the IfA, Professor John Peacock (email: jap @ roe.ac.uk).

Closing date: 18 April 2013.

See http://www.roe.ac.uk/ifa/jobs/130321-Lectureship.html

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE
Associate Head (Teaching & Learning)
Chair, School Teaching & Learning Committee
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.

Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 222, 44-70 Rosehill St Redfern H90 (see map) | (alternate: Rm 205, Physics Building A28)
Postal address: School of Physics | The University of Sydney | NSW | Australia | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3184  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au  | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/physics/~obyrne

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

This email uses 100% recycled words and ideas.  Do you really need to print it?