[ASA] [Reminder] Swinburne half-day workshop on nearby spheroidal galaxies - 3rd October 2012

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Wed Aug 29 08:22:10 AEST 2012

******************************

Dear all,

We would just like to remind you that the registration deadline for our upcoming workshop on nearby spheroidal galaxies (original announcement below) is the 3rd September and anyone who would like to attend should register before this deadline.

Regards,

Nic Scott and Duncan Forbes

*************

On Wednesday 3rd October the Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing (CAS) will host a half-day workshop on nearby spheroidal (elliptical and lenticular) galaxies to coincide with the visit of Prof. Rodger Davies from Oxford. Prof. Davies is a leader in the SAURON and ATLAS3D surveys of nearby early-type galaxies and will give a keynote talk at the workshop. He will also give a CAS seminar on Thursday 4th October at 11:30am.

The main purpose of this workshop is to highlight current research on nearby spheroidal galaxies and promote informal discussion.  We hope to include a range of topics, eg  the properties (sizes, kinematics, stellar populations, gas content etc.) of nearby elliptical and lenticular galaxies (including BCGs and dwarfs), mass and luminosity-based scaling relations of spheroidal systems, the growth of spheroid components in nearby galaxies (by secular evolution and/or merging), and the influence of environment on spheroidal systems.

The workshop will take place from 2-5:00pm on Wednesday 3rd October at the Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing.  Participants are encouraged to gather at Haddons (ground floor of the Centre) for an informal lunch at 1pm.

The workshop will consist of a series of 15 min contributed talks on the above topics (with an extra 5 min allocated for questions/discussion). There will be no registration fee. Tea and coffee will be provided during the afternoon. While principally targeted at researchers in Victoria, visitors and out-of-state researchers are most welcome to attend. If you wish to attend the workshop please email BOTH Nic Scott (nscott at astro.swin.edu.au) AND Duncan Forbes (dforbes at astro.swin.edu.au) by the 3rd Sept. 2012. If you wish to contribute a talk to the workshop please mention this in your registration email and include a title and brief 3-5 line abstract for your proposed contribution.

We look forward to welcoming you to Swinburne,

Dr. Nicholas Scott
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
Swinburne University of Technology
Melbourne, Australia

Email: nscott at astro.swin.edu.au
Phone: +61 (0)3 92145165