[ASA] SKA Success

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Mon May 28 11:21:35 AEST 2012

Dear ASA members,

I was very pleased to learn over the weekend that the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) project  will be jointly hosted by the Australia/New Zealand consortium and Southern Africa. This is an excellent result for the project and for the Australian astronomy community. Australia is now well and truly on the path to SKA and we have delivered on the top recommendation in our Mid-Term Review of the Decadal Plan for Australian Astronomy 2006–2015: -- Australia must ensure that it remains in the best possible position to participate in and host the international SKA.

As President of the ASA, I would like to thank all involved in achieving the outcome, including DIISRTE, CSIRO, ICRAR, CAASTRO and our national bodies. I also acknowledge the important role of our NZ colleagues.
A special thanks must go to ASA members,  Brian Boyle (CSIRO SKA Director)  and Michelle Storey (CSIRO's SKA Executive Officer). Michelle was awarded a Public Service Medal in this year’s Australia Day Honours list for her exceptional and tireless efforts in CSIRO working on SKA related activities since 1999.

As a radio astronomer myself, working at the CSIRO for the Australian SKA Pathfinder (ASKAP) project, I would especially like to thank the Australian astronomy community in general for supporting the SKA bid and recognising  the important role of the  SKA precursors, ASKAP and MWA. Since acknowledged as a key future astronomy project for Australia back in 2006 in the Decadal Plan, the community has shared the SKA vision and has been fully committed to Australia's involvement in this fantastic project.

I am now looking forward to working with our colleagues in the SKA project, including our South African colleagues, to build the world's biggest radio telescope. No doubt our next Decadal Plan will be looking towards a  a vibrant multi-wavelength future for astronomy in Australia.

Kate Brooks,
President, ASA

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE
Associate Head (Teaching & Learning)
Chair, School Teaching & Learning Committee
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.

Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 222, 44-70 Rosehill St Redfern H90 (see map) | (alternate: Rm 568, Physics Annexe A29)
Postal address: School of Physics | The University of Sydney | NSW | Australia | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3184  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au  | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/physics/~obyrne

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

This email uses 100% recycled words and ideas.  Do you really need to print it?