[ASA] 2016 HWSA Pre-registration Poll

Christopher Herron cher7851 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Mon Feb 8 12:14:03 AEDT 2016

Dear ASA student members,

(Please pass this on to students who may not be ASA members)

This year we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the ASA, whose inaugural president was Dr Harley Wood, after whom the Harley Wood School of Astronomy (HWSA) is named. The HWSA is a school whose purpose is to bring together astronomy students in an informal setting to encourage networking between students, as well as to provide students with important knowledge and skills via a series of talks and workshops.

The 2016 HWSA will be held at the Tops Conference Centre, Stanwell Tops (one hour south of Sydney), from Thursday 30th June to Sunday 3rd July. The theme for this year's HWSA is 'Seize the Day: Making the Most of Your Opportunities', and the talks and workshops planned will focus on emphasising the opportunities available to students, as well as encouraging students to be proactive when it comes to networking and collaboration, and starting and managing research projects.

According to our budget, the registration fee for the 2016 HWSA will be lower if more students attend the school. For example, if 80 students attend then the registration fee will be approximately $420 per student, and if 110 students attend, then the registration fee will be approximately $350 per student. These registration fees include accommodation, all meals, starting with afternoon tea on Thursday and ending with lunch on Sunday, attendance at the conference dinner, and transportation by coach between Sydney and Stanwell Tops on Thursday and Sunday.

Thus, we would like to obtain a reliable estimate of how many students plan on attending the HWSA, so that we can set a registration fee that is as low as possible.

Please fill out the following the form to indicate how likely you are to attend the 2016 HWSA: http://goo.gl/forms/kQJRwEYXpS

The form takes a couple of minutes to fill out, and will also help us determine what coaches need to be organised, whether child care is required, and gauge interest in additional activities. The poll will remain open until 8pm on Friday 12th Feb, AEDT.

For more information on the 2016 HWSA, please see the HWSA website: http://www.asa2016.org/hwsahome/

If you have any questions about the 2016 HWSA or this pre-registration poll, please contact Chris Herron via email: C.Herron at physics.usyd.edu.au<mailto:C.Herron at physics.usyd.edu.au>

Kind regards,

Chris Herron, on behalf of the 2016 HWSA LOC